Kanduhulhudhoo man who raped great-grand daughter dies in prison

Photo shows Hassan Moosa Didi from Annaarumaage, G.A Kanduhulhudhoo surrounded by police officers. He is accused of raping his great granddaughter. (Photo/Reader)

A man from GA. Kanduhulhudhoo who was imprisoned for the rape of his 20-month-old great-grand daughter – in a case that sent shockwaves throughout the nation - has died in jail.

The rape was reported to authorities in January 2020 by the victim’s maternal family.

Two people were convicted in the case; Hassan Moosa Didi, 85, and Ibrahim Didi, 65. They are the victim’s paternal great-grandfather and grandfather, respectively.

Maldives Correctional Service said that Hassan Moosa Didi was found motionless in his cell at the Hulhumale’ Prison on Saturday morning. He was taken to the Hulhumale’ Hospital, which pronounced him dead at 09:55 am.

The cause of death was cardiac arrest.

Correctional Service said that Hassan Moosa Didi had been bedridden due to old age prior to his death.

The service has notified his family, the inspector general of correctional service, Maldives Police Service, and the National Integrity Commission of his death.

The rape of the two-year-old girl had rocked not just the island of Kudahuvadhoo, but also the entire Maldives.

Ibrahim Didi, from Rihiveli, G.A Kanduhulhudhoo (R) and Hassan Moosa Didi from Annaarumaage, G.A Kanduhulhudhoo (L).

They were arrested on January 17, 2020, and charged with “carrying out an incestuous sexual act on a child” on February 13, 2020.

According to the prosecution, Hassan Moosa Didi and Ibrahim Didi had subjected the victim to repeated sexual assault over a prolonged period of time.

On July 6, 2022, the Criminal Court found them guilty of the charge and issued the life sentence against them.

Meanwhile, the victim’s parents were pressed with child endangerment charges on February 27.

They were charged with “failure to report sexual offenses against a child despite being aware of the said offenses” and “failure to prevent the offenses despite being aware of its wrongness”.

The case had sparked outrage and protests across the Maldives demanding the government for more effective action against sexual offenses against children. It also led to the resignation of then-Gender Minister Shidhatha Shareef.

The protests were halted with the emergence of Covid-19 cases in Maldives.