Maldives Media Council (MMC) has expressed deep concern over the alleged death threats against Ahmed Azaan, a reporter at online news outlet Dhiyares, calling on the police to conduct a speedy investigation and reveal the truth.
In a statement on Tuesday, MMC said that Azaan has brought it to the council’s attention that he received death threats during an incident that took place at approximately 08:42 pm on Monday.
MMC said that he also brought it to the council’s attention that the incident on Monday had come at the heels of a recent string of death threats and harassment against him over social media and other platforms.
“This is of deep concern to this council. This council does not consider these kinds of incidents as minor incidents,” said MMC in its statement.
MMC noted that local reporters have become victims of deadly attacks following such harassments and threats in the past.
“We therefore call on Maldives Police Service to investigate this case and reveal the truth as soon as possible,” said MMC.
According to Azaan, he and his colleague Nahil Ahmed were verbally harassed by former Feydhoo MP Alhan Fahmy and an associate in the streets.
Alhan has denied the allegation, stating that he had been the one who was harassed.