An aerial view of Male' City. (Sun Photo/Fayaz Moosa)
A massive blackout hit the greater Male’ area on Saturday, affecting the entire Male’ City and Hulhumale’.
The outage hit the populous Maldivian capital at around 12:00 pm.
State Electric Company (STELCO) attributed the outage to “a technical issue”.
“We are working on identifying the issue and restoring electricity services,” said the state utility company in a post on X.
ދިމާވި ޓެކްނިކަލް މައްސަލައަކާއި ގުޅިގެން މާލެއާއި ހުޅުމާލެއިން ވަނީ ކަރަންޓުގެ ހިދުމަތް މެދުކެނޑިފައި. މައްސަލަ ދެނަގަނެ، ހައްލުކޮށް އަލުން ކަރަންޓު ދިނުމުގެ މަސައްކަތްތައް ދަނީ ކުރެވެމުން.
— STELCO (@STELCOMALDIVES) May 23, 2026
The blackout comes just an hour after STELCO announced that it had managed to avoid cutting off power to any part of Male’ City or Hulhumale’ as it carried out upgrades by switching off the Hulhumale’ Powerhouse.
The company said that it had wrapped up the first phase of the upgrades, and would give prior notice to customers on when it would carry out remaining work.
ހުޅުމާލޭގެ 50 މެގަވޮޓް އިންޖީނުގެ ނިއްވާލައިގެން ކުރިއަށްގެންދިޔަ އަޕްގްރޭޑިންގ މަސައްކަތް، މާތްﷲގެ އިރާދަފުޅާއެކު މާލެއާއި ހުޅުމާލޭގެ އެއްވެސް ސަރަހައްދަކުން ކަރަންޓު ކަނޑާނުލާ ވަނީ މިއަދަށް ނިންމާލެވިފައި. ރޭ 3:00 އިން ފެށިގެން ހެނދުނު 8:00 އާ ހަމައަށް ވަރުބަލިކަމެއް ނެތި މި… pic.twitter.com/56J01tKLVh
— STELCO (@STELCOMALDIVES) May 23, 2026
The outage comes amid frequent outages in the capital in recent weeks. However, the recent outages have been mostly attributed to damage to cables, with STELCO working quickly to fix the issues and restore power.
However, the outage on Saturday is reminiscent of a total blackout in the capital last year, that left tens of thousands of people who live there without power for nearly six hours.
The blackout on June 1 prompted President Dr. Mohamed Muizzu to order a police investigation. However, the findings of this investigation were never publicly disclosed.