Finance Ministry has instructed government offices to stop the creation of new posts and implement the budget by minimizing expenses as much as possible.
A circular signed by Finance Minister Ibrahim Ameer on Tuesday highlights measures to implement the budget.
Government offices have been instructed to be as efficient as possible in spending.
Measures instructed by the Finance Ministry:
- Freeze on creation of any new positions that require spending from the state budget without explicit permission from the Finance Ministry.
- Freeze on any changes to salary structure without permission from the Finance Ministry, after research from National Pay Commission.
- Freeze on paying any new allowance without permission from the Finance Ministry, though included in the budget.
- Freeze on anything that may lead to a promotion or change in rank or salary or allowances of an employee without permission from the Finance Ministry.
- Limiting overtime to work that is completely necessary.
The state budget for 2023 is MVR 43 billion, with a projected income of MVR 32 billion.