Advertisement

After low-level flyover, US search operation in Maldives ends with no new leads

A United States military aircraft that conducted an aerial sweep over the search zone on Sunday found no evidence related to the three men missing from the Friend4 supply vessel, the Maldivian Foreign Ministry said on Monday.

The eightcrew Friend 4 departed K. Thilafushi on August 2, carrying construction material such as rock aggregate to islands. The vessel sent out a distress call at around 10:40 pm on August 5, after it began taking in water while travelling through the Huvadhoo Sea following its departure from Th. Madifushi.

Seven of the eight crew members were rescued. Three Maldivian nationals, including a police officer and a soldier who had joined the rescue effort, remain missing. They are:

  •  Mohamed Hamdhoon, 35, captain of the vessel  

  •  Police Sergeant Ali Nafiu, 33  

  •  MNDF Staff Sergeant Ibrahim Ahmed, 39  

Combined photos of (from R-L) Sergeant Ali Nafiu, MNDF soldier Ibrahim Ahmed and vessel captain Mohamed Hamdhoon who went missing in the supply boat sinking. (Photo/Social Media)

The Foreign Ministry said the search operation for the captain, the MNDF official and the Maldives Police Service official is ongoing. A joint search and rescue effort was launched immediately after the incident, and the difficult conditions prompted the government to seek specialized assistance from international partners.

The United States deployed a P8 Poseidon aircraft on Sunday in response to the government’s request. The aircraft was observed flying low over the search zone earlier in the day, and the ministry confirmed that it conducted an extensive coordinated operation with the MNDF. However, no signs or evidence related to the missing personnel were found.

The Maldivian government expressed its appreciation to the United States for its timely support, noting that the assistance reflects the close and longstanding partnership between the two countries, particularly in maritime safety, security and emergency response.

The ministry said the government will continue to extend full cooperation to all relevant agencies and international partners involved in the search, and reaffirmed its commitment to doing everything possible to bring comfort to the families enduring this difficult period.

Advertisement
Comment