The government of Maldives, on Friday, has strongly condemned the ongoing attacks on the Gaza Strip by Israeli forces.
Israeli forces began their airstrikes earlier this week. So far, the air strikes have killed 31 Palestinians, injured many more and led to the destruction of several residential buildings.
Maldivian government, in a statement on Friday, said the actions by Israeli forces are a blatant violation of international law and relevant resolutions of the United Nations Security Council and the United Nations General Assembly.
“Such actions undermine the efforts to achieve a lasting resolution to the conflict and the establishment of peace and stability in the region,” the government said.
The statement further read that the Maldivian government and its people stand in solidarity with the government and people of Palestine and in this trajectory, assures firm support in their legitimate and just struggle to achieve a free, independent and sovereign State of Palestine.
“The Maldives reiterates its steadfast commitment to work closely with the international community to advocate for the cause of the Palestinians,” it also said.
Maldivian government, in their statement, said a lasting and peaceful resolution to the conflict can only be achieved through a two-state solution; an independent and sovereign State of Palestine, based on the pre-1967 borders, with East Jerusalem as its capital.