IGMH: Garage fire survivor discharged

Emergency workers transport dead bodies to ambulance from M. Nirufehi, the scene of a deadly fire that claimed 10 lives. (Sun Photo/Mohamed Hayyan)

Indira Gandhi Memorial Hospital on Monday revealed that the survivor of the fire that occurred in Maafannu district of Male’ City has been discharged.

The individual who survived the deadliest fire in Male’ sustained serious burns during the incident and was in critical condition due to it.

Media Official from IGMH who spoke with Sun revealed that the person was discharged towards the end of November.

“Since [his] condition improved, was discharged from IGMH on November 21.”

Due to the nature of the injuries, he was even put on a ventilator for treatment. IGMH stated that he was taken off the ventilator on November 17.

The fire broke out at M. Nirufehi, located near the Maaveyo Mosque, around 12:30 am on November 9. The ground floor of the building housed a car repair garage - where the fire originated from, while the first and second floors housed cramped accommodation for migrant workers.

The fire killed 10 migrant workers; eight Indians – five males and three females, and two Bangladeshis – a male and a female. The fire also critically injured one - a Bangladeshi male.

Maldives Police Services on November 19 confirmed that all the bodies have been flown back to their respective countriesEfforts to transport the bodies of the victims of the fire were coordinated by the Maldives Police Service and Maldivian Foreign Ministry.

The investigation into this fire incident in Male’ City remains ongoing.