Pregnant woman in Hulhumale’ hospital tests positive for coronavirus

Hulhumale' Hospital. (File Photo/Sun/Fayaz Moosa)

A woman admitted to Hulhumale’ hospital for childbirth has tested positive for the new coronavirus.

Health Ministry’s Deputy Director-General Thasleema Usman told Sun the woman was tested for the new coronavirus after she was hospitalized for childbirth.

Thasleema said the test results came back positive on Saturday morning.

She did not disclose any further details.

Maldives has 3,175 confirmed coronavirus cases, out of whom 2,498 have recovered and 15 have died.

The number of active cases currently stands at 647.

43 percent of the 3,175 coronavirus cases in the country are Maldivians, while the remaining 57 percent are foreign nationals. 1,425 people – making for 44 percent of total coronavirus cases – are Bangladeshis. The rest of the coronavirus cases include 1,397 Maldivians, 255 Indians, 46 Nepalese, and 25 Sri Lankans and 11 Italians.

The beginning of July has seen further relaxation of coronavirus restrictions; borders have been reopened for international travel, mosques in the greater Male’ region have been reopened for congregational prayers, cafes and restaurants reopened for dine-in services, and government offices and courthouses have officially reopened.

The relaxation of the restrictions has been met with a surge in new infections, an increasing percentage of which are unlinked with existing clusters, which health authorities warn is an indication of a wide community spread.