(L-R) LTC Ahmed Siyam, Director Maritime Operations MNDF, Coast Guard; Marc Kouwenberg, TDI Instructor Trainer (Logistical Support Team); Dr Abdulla Niyaf, Chief Medical Officer & Senior Consultant and HOD in Pediatrics, Dive Medicine & HBOT Physician; Patrik Gronqvist, rescue diver. (Photo/DAN Europe)
DAN Europe says all bodies from last week’s fatal dive at the Alimatha cave have now been recovered, with the final dive of the mission scheduled for Thursday.
The main phase of the recovery concluded after a technical dive by the Finnish specialist team. DAN Europe said MNDF, Maldives Police and DAN remained in continuous coordination with Italian authorities in Male' throughout the operation.
According to DAN, three divers entered the cave on Wednesday morning. The three‑hour operation involved recovering bodies, ensuring work‑site safety, and documenting the entire cave system for investigators.
The work required the use of closed‑circuit rebreathers (CCRs), submersible support and deep‑water technical equipment.
After the operation, Finnish team members Sami Paakkarinen, Jenni Westerlund and Patrik Gronqvist said they were “not heroes, just divers.”
“We decided to provide this assistance with the noble intention of helping the families at this tragic time. After three days of work, all the missing divers have been found,” the statement said.
The team thanked MNDF, police and all supporting agencies.
Although the bodies have been recovered, DAN Europe said the mission’s final dive will take place on Thursday to remove equipment left inside the cave and restore the natural environment. A detailed cave chart will also be produced to support the ongoing investigation.
DAN Europe said the safety of the recovery team and respect for the victims remained the top priorities throughout the mission.