Advertisement

HRCM opens probe after visits to meet jailed journalists and protestors

Adhadhu journalists Mohamed Shahzan (L) and Leevan Ali Naseer (R) outside the Criminal Court on May 12, 2026. (Photo/MJA)

The Human Rights Commission of Maldives (HRCM) has decided to open an investigation following allegations raised by two journalists who were imprisoned last week on contempt charges for violating a contentious gag order, as well as protestors arrested from serial demonstrations that have broken out in Male’ over their imprisonment.

The gag order in question was issued by Criminal Court Judge Muzammil Nasir on May 10, in a criminal case against top officials from local news outlet Adhadhu.

Adhadhu’s CEO Hussain Fiyaz Moosa and editor Hassan Mohamed are on trial on charges of Qazf - an Islamic criminal charge over false accusations of adultery or fornication - in connection to a documentary the outlet released on March 28.

Two journalists from the news outlet, Mohamed Shahzan and Leeval Ali Naseer, were sentenced to prison on May 19 on charges of contempt of court for violating the blanket gag order issued in connection to the case.

Their imprisonment has sparked serial protests in Male’ City. The police have arrested multiple protestors, some of whom remain in detention.

Police and protestors clash during a protest demanding 'Adhadhu' journalists' release on May 13, 2026. (Sun Photo/Mohamed Shathiu Abdulla)

In a post on X on Monday night, HRCM said it has met with and checked up on the condition of Shahzan and Leevan, as well as the protestors in police custody.

HRCM said that it has decided to open an investigation based on the complaints they raised during the meetings.

“The commission has decided to investigate what we need to based on the points raised by them during the commission’s visits,” wrote the HRCM.

The rights watchdog did not elaborate on the nature of the complaints they raised during the visits.

Imprisonment of journalists and subsequent protests

The gag order in question explicitly prohibits any party from circulating the documentary, from directly or indirectly discussing the contents of the video, or making any comments linking any of the defendants or the victim with the documentary.

Both Leevan and Shahzan were accused of violating the gag order, Leevan with an article published regarding the issuance of the gag order and Shahzan over the questions he directed at President Dr. Mohamed Muizzu on May 18.

Shahzan was kicked out of the press briefing over the questions, and the President’s Office has banned ‘Adhadhu’ from all future press conferences.

Shahzan was sentenced to 15 days in prison, while Leevan was sentenced to 10 days.

Opposition parties Maldivian Democratic Party (MDP) and the People’s National Front (PNF) have been holding protests in the streets of Male’ since May 20, demanding the release of the imprisoned journalists.

Advertisement
Comment