Advertisement

Islamic Minister: 15 mosques opened for Ramadan; 19 more on the way

President Dr. Mohamed Muizzu inaugurates Masjid Yoosuf Al Barbaree (Barbaree Mosque) on February 18, 2026. (Photo/President's Office)

Islamic Minister Dr Mohamed Shaheem Ali Saeed said Wednesday that 15 mosques have been opened so far for the month of Ramadan, with additional mosques scheduled to open in the coming days.

In a message to the media, Shaheem said the air‑conditioning issue at Salman Mosque has now been resolved, allowing it to open for Ramadan along with 14 other mosques.

He said a total of 19 mosques, including those built by private individuals and the government, will be opened during the month.

Shaheem also noted that the men’s and women’s prayer areas of more than 800 mosques across the country have now been air‑conditioned. The work is being completed in line with this year’s Presidential Statement, he said.

King Salman Mosque captured from outside. (Sun Photo/Mohamed Hayyan)

The minister added that Maldivian huffaz will lead Taraweeh prayers at both the Islamic Centre and Salman Mosque this Ramadan. Young huffaz will lead Taraweeh in 24 mosques in Male', while young khateebs will deliver the Friday sermon at the Islamic Centre and Salman Mosque on the third Friday of Ramadan.

President Dr Mohamed Muizzu on Wednesday inaugurated Masjid‑ul‑Yusuf Barbari, located at the junction of Majeedhee Magu. The three‑storey mosque, built with a generous private donation, can accommodate 1,400 worshippers.

Advertisement
Comment