The deadline for the submission of complaints regarding the permanent list of recipients of flats under the ‘Gedhoruveriya’ housing scheme has been extended by one day.
The permanent list of recipients of flats under the ‘Gedhoruveriya’ housing scheme was released on Saturday. It was opened for complaints the next day, following questions regarding how points were awarded in selecting the recipients of the first 4,000 flats under the scheme.
The deadline had been set to expire on Thursday.
The Housing Ministry has announced that the deadline has now been extended to 11:59 pm Friday.
The ministry urged applicants to share the complaints they may have regarding the list.
According to the Housing Ministry, the recipients of the 4,000 units currently under construction by the Fahi Dhiriulhun Corporation (FDC) on list of recipients for three-bedroom flats had all received upwards of 76 marks.
Meanwhile, the recipients of the 4,000 units on the list of two-bedroom flats had all received upwards of 73 marks.
On Sunday, dozens of protesters gathered at the Housing Ministry to express their displeasure.
They allege the assessment process had been unfair, that some applicants who had resided in Male’ for a fewer period of time had scored higher points, and that some lawmakers from the MDP and their family members were unfairly awarded flats.
The Anti-Corruption Commission (ACC) has instructed a halt to the issuance of the flats as it investigates the complaints. The commission’s officials went to the Housing Ministry on Monday.
The Housing Ministry said that the ACC officials were given access to all documents they requested.
President-elect Dr. Mohamed Muizzu has also expressed concern over the situation, urging the outgoing administration against rushing the handover of flats during the few days remaining until his administration comes to power.
His office has warned that the new administration will take action if it discovers any wrongdoing.
However, the Housing Ministry said the work would continue as planned.