Charges filed against two men for concealing Faih

Ibrahim Faih Nizam, 25, Rahdhebaige, S. Maradhoo Feydhoo. (Photo/Maldives Police Service)

Prosecutor General’s Office (PG Office), on Tuesday, filed charges against two men for concealing Ibrahim Faih Nizam, a suspect in gang violence using sharp edged weapons, who evaded arrest for approximately two months.

Police had made an announcement seeking the public’s help in finding Faih on February 15, following his suspected involvement in a fight between two rival gangs back in January.

He was on the run when he became one of the suspects in the murder of a young man in a shop in Maafannu district.

Faih surrendered to the police on March 21 amid a two-month manhunt for him.

PG Office, in a message to media outlets on Tuesday, identified the suspects they have filed charges against for concealing Faih, as he evaded arrest, as Abdulla Junaid, Nevercorn, L. Gan and Mohamed Shabeeb, Feeroazuge, R. Kandholhudhoo.

They are both charged with concealing or aiding a fugitive with the purpose of preventing their apprehension under Article 536 (a) of the Penal Code.

Faih has been charged with three crimes; violence using a sharp-edged weapon, deliberately obstructing a law enforcement officer from carrying out their duties and making physical contact with one.

He is suspected of attacking a person with a sharp-edged weapon during a fight that broke out at Café De Public on January 14th. The fight was one of the many serial gang fights that had taken place between two dangerous criminal gangs operating in Male’ City early this year.

PG Office has also filed charges against Ali Farish, H. Dhiggaamaage, K, Male’ and Maain Mohamed Azeem, Ma. Aadhipparu, K. Male’ over the fight. They were charged with unlawful physical contact.

Faih, while he was on the run, became a suspect in the stabbing of Mohamed Ahmed Didi (Naushad), 30, Izmeer, S. Hithadhoo, was stabbed inside a shop located near the BG Garage in Maafannu district of Male’ at around 09:30 pm on February 24th. Naushad succumbed to his injuries on February 27.

Eyewitnesses report two people had been actively involved in the stabbing.

The second suspect, a 20-year-old male, was arrested on February 26. He had been remanded in jail pending the outcome of his trial.