A fire broke out in a home in HDh. Makunudhoo on Thursday, resulting in extensive damage.
The fire broke out at around 08:15 pm.
Makunudhoo Council’s president Auzam Adam told Sun the fire originated from the part of the house previously used as a store.
“Its most likely the fire resulted from an electric short circuit. It will become clear once the investigation is complete. The place has been vacant for a long time,” he said.
There were five people living in the home, all of whom evacuated shortly after the fire broke out.
“The police, soldiers, locals and institutions worked together to put out the fire almost immediately after the fire broke out. We also received huge support from Altec Maldives, which is conducting a water and sanitation project in the island, in fighting the fire,” he said.
The fire had quickly spread to the rest of the three-room house, resulting in extensive damages. The room of the house collapsed in the incident, and most of the home appliances were burnt beyond use.