May 6 blast: Man who detonated IED to be sentenced on Tuesday

Adhuham Ahmed Rasheed, Hiyaa, V. Thinadhoo.

Criminal Court has stated that they will sentence the man who has confessed to detonating an IED in an attempt to assassinate Parliament Speaker, former President Mohamed Nasheed, on Tuesday.

A homemade remote-controlled IED was strapped to motorcycle parked nearby Nasheed’s residence, and was detonated at 08:27 pm on May 6, just as Nasheed, 54, exited his residence and went to get in his car. Nasheed was thrown to the ground and sustained multiple shrapnel wounds, while three members of his security detail and two bystanders sustained minor wounds.

Adhuham Ahmed Rasheed, 26, was charged with carrying out an act of terrorism, conspiracy to carry out an act of terrorism, supporting a terrorist organization, and attempted murder with a sharp-edged weapon or a dangerous weapon.

His hearings were held behind closed doors, citing potential threat to national security.

Prosecutor General’s Office’s Spokesperson, Public Prosecutor Ahmed Shafeeu told Sun that the court accepted the plea deal it signed with Adhuham on Sunday.

Shafeeu also detailed that as Adhuham had pled guilty to all charges – the judge presiding over the case had decided to fast-track the case. Noting that all hearings have concluded as of present, Shafeeu said that the sentencing is scheduled for next Tuesday,

The State has signed a plea deal with Adhuham prior to this – in which he agrees to the four charges pressed against him. Afterwards, at Court, he had stated that the plea agreement with the State was signed by his own free will and also pled guilty to all four charges against him.

Adhuham was facing at least 37 years in prison prior to this for the charges against him. The plea deal and the admission of guilt before the Court will reduce his sentence to 23 years in prison.

Adhuham is the individual that the Police suspects to have detonated the homemade remote-controlled IED was strapped to motorcycle parked nearby Nasheed’s residence whilst at Athama Palace in Majeedhee Magu, located in front of Neeloafari Hingun – a narrow street where Nasheed’s residence is located. He was arrested on May 9, from Hulhuamale’, at dawn.

CCTV footage capturing Adhuham’s actions prior to and after detonating the IED was publicized by the Police in the early stages of the investigation.

He is wearing a light long-sleeved shirt and a black face mask, and is seen at the Athama Palace.

The footage further shows him speaking on the phone whilst inside Athama Palace. During this time, he had one of his slippers removed – and was leaning his foot against the wall. The footprints taken by the Police from the wall and the footprint taken from Adhuham following his arrest were a match.