Migrant worker arrested over Mahmood’s murder remanded in custody for 15 days

Police search a private residence in ADh. Dhangethi in the investigation into the murder of a local businessman on October 16, 2021.

The migrant worker arrested on suspicion of the murder of a businessman at ADh. Dhangethi – has been remanded in police custody for 15 days.

Mahmood Aboobakr, 57, was found murdered and thrown into a water well in an abandoned house in Dhangethi on Thursday afternoon, hours after he was reported missing. 

Police announced the first arrest made in connection to Mahmood’s murder on Saturday – a suspect whom they identified only as a ‘male migrant worker’.

Police said that when presented before the court – he was remanded in custody for 15 days.

The migrant in question works as a live-in caregiver for an elderly man in a house close to where Mahmood’s body was found. 

The house was searched by the Police on Saturday morning – prior to his arrest.

A Dhangethi resident who spoke to Sun said the Police searched the house in response to multiple reports of a suspicious noise being heard from the house on the night Mahmood disappeared. 

The house in question is located approximately 100 meters from where Mahmood’s body was found. 

Mahmood was found murdered during a search for him – after having been declared missing. He was last seen alive on Wednesday night. Dhangethi residents commenced an island-wide search at 10:00 am on Thursday morning. His body was discovered during the search at around 15:15 in the afternoon – inside a water well at an abandoned house; bound and stuffed inside a sack.

The Police have yet to confirm the exact cause of death. However, some individuals who saw his body reports seeing repeated blows to his head and neck with a sharp object.

Mahmood is an entrepreneur involved in the business of staple foods and gas, in addition to being an owner of a café and a boat. 

Dhangethi residents claim he carried around large amounts of cash always due to his businesses – alleging him to have been murdered in a robbery gone wrong.

Shortly after he was found murdered, residents took the law into their own hands to hand over two men who they believed to the murderers to the police. Subsequently, the two men were granted police protection.

Later, a woman who is related to the two individuals was also granted police protection.

Although they were not under arrest initially – the Police later on confirmed that they were arrested in connection to a separate case.

Following this, the three were escorted out of Dhangethi on Friday – under protective custody of the Police.