Murdered blogger Yaamin Rasheed (c) and CCTV footage of suspected assailants who stabbed him.
The prosecution has stated that the testimony of the protected witness in the murder case of blogger Yameen Rasheed cannot be withdrawn at this point.
Six individuals were originally charged with stabbing Yameen to death:
Ismail Haisham Rasheed (H. Annaarumaage, Male')
Ahmed Zihan Ismail (Lot 11399, Hulhumale')
Mohamed Dhifran (Sindbadge, G.Dh. Gaddhoo)
Hassan Shifaz (M. Kudhehige, Male')
Ismail Rasheed (M. Thaaif, Male')
Hussein Ziyad (East, M. Kolhufushi)
In January 2022, Haisham and Zihan were convicted in the Criminal Court and sentenced to life imprisonment, while the remaining defendants were acquitted.
Haisham and Zihan appealed to the High Court, which overturned the verdict and ordered a retrial.
The case was reopened, and a second hearing was held on Saturday. The hearing focused on a letter submitted by the secret witness.
The prosecution noted that the witness submitted the letter two years after giving testimony, and about one month after the sentencing announcement. They argued that the witness’s stated fear was not mentioned at any point during testimony. The prosecution also said the witness’s account is consistent with CCTV footage.
The defence argued that the witness had been intimidated and influenced, and stressed that he was the only witness who saw the accused leaving the scene after the attack. They said the witness had been harassed and threatened from the beginning of the case.
In line with the High Court’s order, the case was reopened in February this year. It is being heard by a three-judge bench comprising Judge Ibrahim Ihsan, Judge Mohamed Misbah, and Judge Ali Nadeem. Although most Criminal Court cases are heard by a single judge, certain cases have historically been assigned to a bench.