COVID-19: Maldives records 70 new infections

Health authorities collect samples for COVID-19 testing in Male' City on May 14, 2020. (Sun Photo/Fayaz Moosa)

Health Protection Agency (HPA), on Monday, announced 70 additional cases of the new coronavirus, increasing confirmed coronavirus cases in Maldives to 9,243.

According to HPA, the 70 new cases include 48 locals and 22 foreigners.

65 of the cases were identified from the greater Male’ region, while the remaining five were identified from the atolls.

Meanwhile, 210 additional coronavirus patients were confirmed to have made full recoveries over the last 24-hours, increasing total recoveries to 7,536.

The new developments mean Maldives now has 1,668 active cases.

There are 834 patients in isolation facilities and 105 in hospitals.

131,623 samples, including repeated samples, have been taken by health authorities to conduct coronavirus tests.

With the 70 new infections this Monday, 576 people have tested positive over the last one-week period.

September 14: 70 cases

September 13: 121 cases

September 12: 62 cases

September 11: 90 cases

September 10: 66 cases

September 9: 93 cases

September 8: 74 cases

Maldives identified its first coronavirus case on March 7, and declared a state of public health emergency over the pandemic less than a week later on March 12.

While coronavirus cases had initially been restricted to resorts and safaris, and later quarantine facilities holding inbound travelers, Male’ City identified its first coronavirus case on April 15, prompting a city-wide lockdown.

The populous capital quickly emerged as the epicenter of the coronavirus outbreak in Maldives, contributing to over 90 percent of total cases.

5,855 people – making for 63 percent of the 9,243 coronavirus cases in the country, are Maldivians, while the remaining 37 percent are foreign nationals.

33 coronavirus patients have died from complications.

There are active coronavirus cases in 21 residential islands outside of the greater Male’ area. Three islands outside of the capital; G. Dh. Hoadedhoo, G. Dh. Madaveli, and N. Manadhoo are under monitoring.

There are also active cases in 32 resorts, including 22 tourists and 50 staff.