Maldives Ports Limited (MPL), on Wednesday, warned people with any flu-like symptoms against using public bus and ferry services, as a precautionary measure against the spread of disease within the general population.
In a video press conference, MPL’s CEO Shahid Ali said the company begun implementing special measures to protect its staff and customers in response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
The company has begun disinfecting its buses and ferries, and has advised customers with flu symptoms against using its services.
“We want to bring it to the attention of people who use bus and ferry services, we request that you refrain from using bus and ferry services if you have any flu symptoms,” said Shahid.
Customers have also been urged to the hand washing facilities established at bus stops, and to use transport services as safely as possible.
Public transport services should not be used unless absolutely necessary, he warned.
Shahid noted that there had been a decrease in the number of customers who use its bus services between Male’ and Hulhumale, and its ferry services in the southern atolls, due to which it had implemented changes to its service timings.
13 people have tested positive for COVID-19 in Maldives, all of whom are foreign nationals who were either working or vacationing in resorts or safaris. Of the 13 people, five were from Kuredu Island Resort, two from Sandies Bathala, two from Kuramathi Island Resort, two from Anantara Dhigu, and two from Island Safari-1.
Maldives, on March 12, announced a 30-day state of public health emergency over the COVID-19 pandemic, and has since taken multiple measures aimed at containing and preventing a potential outbreak, and mitigating the economic impact of the pandemic.