HRCM Commissioners meet with UNDP officials on October 30, 2025. (Photo/HRCM)
The Human Rights Commission of Maldives (HRCM) has stated that it has now obtained all the information required to investigate the case of a child who was taken into state custody at birth.
In a post on social media, HRCM said a significant amount of information related to the case has been collected as part of its investigation into the alleged unjust removal of the infant from the mother without her consent. The commission said it is currently reviewing the evidence.
However, HRCM noted that it is continuing efforts to gather additional evidence and information needed to complete the investigation. “Hopefully, all the necessary information will be obtained very soon,” the commission said.
The case was raised by the child’s mother, who expressed concern over the child being taken into state care. Posts circulating on social media quoted her as saying the State removed her child because she has a disability and had previously attempted self-harm.
The mother has also expressed concern that the ministry is attempting to place the child with another family without her consent.
The ministry has faced criticism over the matter, but has stated that children are taken into state custody in accordance with the Protection of Children’s Rights Act. The ministry said a child will be taken into state care in cases where the parents or family are unable to ensure the child’s safety.