(L-R) Former President Mohamed Nasheed, Abdulla Sodiq (Sobe), the MDP candidate for Hithadhoo North constituency and former President Ibrahim Mohamed Solih at the campaign event for Soabe, May 18, 2026. (Photo/MDP)
Former President Mohamed Nasheed has said he will secure the signatures of two‑thirds of parliamentarians to submit a no‑confidence motion against President Dr Mohamed Muizzu.
Speaking at a campaign event for former Addu City Mayor Abdulla Sodiq (Sobe), the MDP candidate for the vacated Hithadhoo North constituency, Nasheed said the people of Addu, Male’ and the rest of the country “have no doubt” why Sobe should be elected, to change the current administration.
“This government must be changed before the end of this year. Don’t worry. We will hopefully bring the majority of Parliament, the majority, two‑thirds, for a no‑confidence vote. [Former] President Yameen is also very ready to do this,” Nasheed said.
He added that the results of the April 4 referendum showed President Muizzu’s government had already failed, claiming it demonstrated a loss of public trust.
Hithadhoo uthuru dhaairaa by-election: Soabe 2026 male jalsaa https://t.co/x7fkYpSKRp
— RaajjeTV (@Raajje_tv) May 18, 2026
Nasheed reiterated that he would obtain the signatures needed to move a no‑confidence motion, saying electing Sobe was part of that effort.
“I am very sure that PNC members will cross the floor. They will change parties. They will sign a no‑confidence motion against this President,” Nasheed said.