Sri Lankans working in Maldives speak at the 'Ceylon aaeku Dhivehin' telethon organised by Maldivian media to raise funds to help Sri Lanka disaster families, November 30, 2025. (Photo/PSM)
Sri Lankans working in the Maldives expressed heartfelt sentiments during the telethon organised by Maldivian media on Sunday evening to raise funds for victims of the disaster in neighbouring Sri Lanka.
At least 334 people have been killed in floods and landslides, while more than 370 remain missing.
The telethon, led by state-run PSM, has so far raised MVR 2.37 million and USD 38,322.
Several Sri Lankans living in the Maldives participated in the event, with some expressing their gratitude in the local language Dhivehi. One woman said her family was in dire straits back home. She explained that she had not been able to contact them for four days, and only managed to reach some relatives on Sunday.
“Actually, we don’t even know where our family is in Sri Lanka now. Thank you very much to everyone for helping us so much. Thank you very much once again,” she said.
She added that the Maldives has always stood by Sri Lanka in times of need. “Everyone came here to thank Maldives for always giving us help when we need it,” she said.
Another participant said Sri Lanka was in a very bad situation and stressed that he was grateful for every donation made.
The telethon began at 09:00 on Sunday and was initially scheduled to end at 01:00, but has now been extended until 14:00 on Monday. Donations continue to pour in both online and through fund boxes.
Sri Lanka remains a close neighbour to the Maldives, serving as a popular destination for study, medical treatment, and tourism. A large number of Sri Lankans also work across various sectors in the Maldives.