Anti-Corruption Commission (ACC) has denied that the list – viral on social media – claimed to have been compiled by the commission following their probe into applications of flat recipients deemed eligible under ‘Gedhoruveriya’ scheme was compiled by the commission.
A list comprising of applicants who have been deemed ineligible for the first 4,000 flats under the ‘Gedhoruveriya’ scheme which was claimed to have been compiled by ACC went viral on social media on Sunday.
As per ACC, information regarding a list they had compiled in light of their findings over the course of the investigation has only been shared with the Housing Ministry and the Parliament’s Committee on Independent Institutions so far.
The commission, underscoring important observations that had taken note of during the investigation had been shared during a press briefing held regarding the case, stressed that no further information regarding the case nor any related documents have been shared with any party by the commission nor any of its staff.
They described the circulation of misinformation on social media which would spark anger amongst the public in such a case that is directly linked to the interest of the people as a backward and irresponsible act.
“The information that needs to be disclosed to the public regarding cases under investigation by the commission will be shared through the commission’s official social media accounts and official statements issued to media outlets,” the statement read.
ACC cited their highest priority as upholding the law and protecting the interests of the public while providing complete assurance that their investigations will not be influenced to any extent by any party.
The publication of the list of the recipients of 4,000 flats developed by Fahi Dhiri Ulhun Corporation (FDC) in Hulhumale’ triggered protests from the public over the point allocation. A total of 325 complaints were submitted to ACC over the list, following which they launched a criminal investigation into the matter.
ACC had previously ordered the suspension of issuance of flats, but lifted the suspension on February 1, instructing the Housing Ministry to abide by certain rules while issuing the flats.
Housing Ministry, in a statement on Saturday, said ACC, following their investigation, sent a list of forms to the Ministry on Thursday, which have identified as eligible applicants with no further issues.
As per the statement, the list of forms has been formulated based on information obtained for investigation purposes. Therewith, the Ministry said they are working to declare the list of applicants eligible to receive flats under the ‘Gedhoruveriya’ scheme.
This had sparked concern from the public, fearing that the new administration would revoke the existing list of flat recipients.
Although ACC has greenlighted the issuance of the flats, in an earlier press briefing, they said 59.6 percent of the people who were listed as recipients of flats are ineligible to receive flats under 'Gedhoruveriya' scheme.
Housing Ministry states they will be moving forward with flat issuance in accordance with counsel provided by ACC and the Attorney General’s Office.