Gabbarey remanded in custody pending outcome of trial after rearrest

Ibrahim Abdulla (Gabbarey), 32, MA. Night Villa.

Ibrahim Abdulla (Gabbarey), 32, MA. Night Villa, who is a suspect in the attempted murder of Mathiveri MP Hassan Zareer, has been remanded in custody pending the outcome of his trial by the Criminal Court on Friday following his rearrest.

Gabbarey was arrested on May 23rd after he surrendered to the police a week after the authority sought public assistance to locate him. He was remanded in custody for 30 days subsequently.

In his first remand hearing on arrest, Criminal Court affirmed the police had submitted sufficient evidence against Gabbarey including witness testimonies, CCTV footage snapshots, victim’s medical records, photos and intelligence reports.

Moreover, the court stressed Gabbarey already had a criminal record.

However, Criminal Court granted release to Gabbarey on July 6th – a decision which the prosecution appealed with the High Court.

High Court’s judgment in the case said Criminal Court released Gabbarey and two other suspects complicit in the case unlawfully. The court, in their judgment, also ordered Criminal Court to make a decision on their remand, if sought within the next five days.

Police confirmed the subsequent rearrest of two people, including Gabbarey earlier in the day.

Criminal Court’s order, remanding him in custody pending the outcome of the trial, read sufficient evidence had been submitted to qualify him a suspect.

The order stated that the court believed there was reason to detain him citing him to be a possible danger to society with reference to Article 16 of the Act on Prohibiting Threatening and Possession of Dangerous Weapons and Sharp Objects, and also his previous criminal record.

Gabbarey admitted participating in the 2007 murder of Ali Ishar, H. Kunbura, using sharped edged weapons during the investigation process. At that time, he was 16. The state charged him with participation in an intentional murder using a sharp-edged weapon in connection to the case.

In 2010, Juvenile Court found him not guilty of the charge citing lack of evidence. The state appealed Juvenile Court’s judgment to High Court on April 17th, 2012.

MP Zareer had been at the Habibi Café’ and Bistro in Galolhu district of Male’ City when he was attacked by a group of five men.

The incident took place at around 03:30 am on May 1.

He sustained head injuries in the attack and was hospitalized at the ADK Hospital briefly.

Police have made two other arrests in connection to the attack; a 21-year-old male and a 22-year-old male.