Doctors remove toy whistle from kid’s lungs

Indhira Gandhi Memorial Hospital (IGMH). (File Photo/Sun/Fayaz Moosa)

Doctors from Indhira Gandhi Memorial Hospital (IGMH) have removed a whistle of a soft toy from the lungs of a child.

Physician Dr. Mohamed Ali said on Twitter on Thursday that a team from IGMH’s National Center of Respiratory Medicine conducted the surgery this month.

According to Mohamed, the child had been trying to impress their younger sibling by producing sound from the whistle when they accidently inhaled it into the lungs.

He did not specify the gender of the patient.

The whistle, which measures three centimeters in length, got lodged in their right lung.

Mohamed warned it is not safe to keep objects inside the mouth or between the lips as it might lead to accidental inhalation.

Inhalation into the lungs could result in an infection, which can be life threatening.

Mohamed commended the great input his team received from the hospital’s radiology team, as well as the great coordination by anesthesiologists, OT staff, and pediatricians, in ensuring the successful removal of the whistle.