Application opens for 500 land plots from Hithadhoo

A drone shot of Addu city Hithadhoo in the south of Maldives. (Sun Photo/Fayaz Moosa)

Addu City council on Wednesday night announce opening application for 500 land plots from Hithadhoo.

According to the announcement made by the council, those interested can put forth application for the 1,500 square feet plots until February 23, 2023.

Speaking with Sun on Thursday, the Deputy Mayor of Addu City Mohamed Shuaau said that this announcement for land plots from Hithadhoo was made after a 22 year hiatus. He added that they were working towards issuing a further 2,000 plots this year, from Hithadhoo alone.

Council’s announcement noted that this time around, land will be issued under two different categories. The first category will have 450 land plots, which is 90 percent, dedicated to those registered to Hithadhoo itself. Meanwhile the remaining 10 percent, which amounts to 50 plots, will be for those from other islands of the city.

Just two days prior, the council had made announcements, opening application for land from Hulhudhoo, Meedhoo and Feydhoo.

Many have been pointing out that the timing of these announcements was close to the Maldivian Democratic Party’s (MDP) primary slated for the 28th of this month.

Former President Mohamed Nasheed, the opposing contestant to President Ibrahim Mohamed Solih has also spoke out critically about it.

Responding to his comments, Deputy Mayor Shuaau said that Nasheed was saying that as he was not fully aware of how the operations were taking place. He added that as soon as the Ministry of Planning green lighted the land use plan, the council commenced work towards announcing for the land plots.

“So far, the announcements have been made at the times when all the necessary administrative tasks related to it were completed. Not looking at a specific time.”

Additionally, Shuaau said that those serving the public do not have specific working hours, hence issuing land would also take place in a similar manner.