241 Committee to probe Abdulla Rasheed’s death

Abdulla Rasheed, 43.

Parliament’s Committee on National Security Services (241 Committee) has initiated an investigation into the death of the man who died whilst in police custody last week.

Abdulla Rasheed, 43, was arrested in a counter-drug operation from a café near the harbor of GDh. Hoadedhdhoo at approximately 02:15 pm on October 25. The police hired a private speedboat to transport him to another island. He died en route.

According to the family, Abdulla had repeatedly complained of chest pains when the police had him board the boat, and the officers there dismissed it as an act and denied him medical treatment.

At convening of the 241 Committee on Wednesday, the Committee’s Chairman, North Hithadhoo MP Mohamed Aslam said that a motion was submitted by Madaveli MP Hussain Firushan in a letter to Parliament Speaker Mohamed Nasheed – stating he believed Abdulla Rasheed died due to negligence by the police.

“Has requested the case be investigated by 241 Committee at the earliest. The member expressed his wishes to brief the Committee on the events leading up to the death, having been an eyewitness to them,” MP Aslam had said.

MP Aslam said that the Committee has requested the Police to provide additional information regarding the case.

Despite objections by Abdulla’s family – National Integrity Commission (NIC), leading the probe into Abdulla’s death, decided to move forward with the postmortem.

Abdulla’s family had lodged a case with the Civil Court to stop the autopsy, stating they wish for him to be buried as soon as possible, without any further harm to his body. The court ruled against stopping the autopsy on Sunday.

NIC confirmed to Sun on Monday that Abdulla’s body has been sent to India, to carry out the postmortem.

His family were given the opportunity to view his body on Sunday.

Abdulla, who was involved in the sea cucumber business, had lived in Hoadedhdhoo alone. His wife and four children – three girls and one boy - reside in Male’ City.