MP Bonde: Three fingers from Nasheed’s right hand might have to be amputated

Speaker of Parliament, former President Mohamed Nasheed on 'an episode of 'Ask Speaker'. (Photo/People's Majlis)

Central Maafannu MP Ibrahim Rasheed (Bonde) – a close acquaintance of Parliament Speaker, former President Mohamed Nasheed – has stated that there is a possibility that three fingers from Nasheed’s right hand might have to be amputated.

Nasheed is currently at the UK, seeking further treatment for the injuries sustained during the IED attack targeting him on May 6.

Speaking to Sun on behalf of Nasheed, Bonde noted that one reason stopping Nasheed from returning to the Maldives is as he is supposed to consult with his doctors every two weeks. He also noted that three fingers from Nasheed’s right hand have gone extremely numb as a result of the IED attack.

“The doctors have also said that if there are no improvements within six months – the fingers will have to be amputated,” he added.

Speaking further, Bonde noted that Nasheed is a person who writes a lot – raising concerns as to how he would continue working if his fingers are amputated.

Central Maafannu MP Ibrahim Rasheed (Bonde). (File Photo/People's Majlis)

Additionally, Bonde pointed that the other reason stopping Nasheed from returning to the Maldives is due to security concerns.

“Security is what is next. There is no security here,” he had said.

Noting that Nasheed is currently 53 years, and had spent most of his life serving the people, Bonde had raised questions as to whether this is what is owed to Nasheed by the State for all he has done for the people.

He further added that Nasheed’s daughters are also extremely concerned about his safety – whereas they want Nasheed to stop working in politics.

“They are telling their father that he is 53-years-old now. That this is the state of this country – and that it is not improving. That another generation can come forward to work for that improvement. That other people from this country should step forward to do this work now,” Bonde had said speaking on behalf of Nasheed’s daughters.


A homemade remote-controlled IED was strapped to a motorcycle parked nearby Nasheed’s residence, and was detonated at 08:27 pm on May 6, just as Nasheed, 54, exited his residence and went to get in his car. Nasheed was thrown to the ground and sustained multiple shrapnel wounds, while three members of his security detail and two bystanders sustained minor wounds.