Maldives Police Service has signed a USD 48 million agreement with India’s ABL Indira Projects JV to conduct multiple projects to develop police infrastructure.
The agreement was signed by Commissioner of Police Mohamed Hameed and ABL Indira Projects JV’s Chairman Bhupesh Nagarajan this Saturday.
Police said 61 police facilities and buildings will be constructed under the agreement.
This includes a custodial facility and expansion of two existing buildings in K. Dhoonidhoo. It also includes 23 police stations in the atolls, 21 police posts, eight atoll police stations, a police station in Male’, and a police station and four accommodation buildings in Hulhumale’ Phase II.
ABL Indira Projects JV is required to complete the projects within two years.
Police said the projects will lead to the establishment of police stations across Maldives, and facilitate the delivery of modern and democratic services required by the people in a decentralized system.
It will also allow for the establishment of infrastructure that will meet international standards for detention and meet basic requirements for police facilities.
Police said 85 percent of the cost of the project will be financed through a loan between the Maldivian government and India’s EXIM Bank, and the remaining 15 percent will be financed by the Maldivian government.
The project is conducted based on the single-source procurement method. Police said their cost analysis shows the cost of the project is comparatively lower than infrastructure development projects conducted under Public Service Investment Program (PSIP) in the past.