The Maldives Police Service has stated that the investigation into the May 6 terrorist attack targeting former President Mohamed Nasheed was proceeding well and that the top suspects behind planning the attack have all been arrested.
In a press conference underway right now, Superintendent of Police Hassan Shifau of the Criminal Investigation Command, said that information related to more than 150 individuals have so far been collected by police, and search operations have been conducted in 25 different locations related to information received from the public and police investigations.
A total of 14 people have been detained by police so far, and Supt. Shifau today reiterated that the investigation was focused on finding out those who actively took part in the attack, planned and carried out the attack, and those who financially supported the attack as well.
"So, those suspects, who had an active part in the attack in different ways, are right now in police custody," said the police. A total of four have been arrested in direct connection with the attack so far.
Supt. Shifau today also said that more than 200 CCTV footage received from the public and from police investigations are being analyzed and that CCTV footage were providing valuable information and developments to the investigation.
He added that international partners were also assisting in the forensic analysis as the forensic service of the police were conducting tests on evidence collected from the scene of the crime and other locations connected with the bombing. Supt. Shifau said that the analysis was also providing important information to the investigation.
US experts were assisting the Maldivian police in the investigation for the financial angle of the case, said Supt. Shifau.
Ex-President and current Speaker of the Parliament Mohamed Nasheed is still in Germany receiving treatment for the wounds from the bombing on May 6. He traveled to Germany after receiving life-saving treatment at the ADK Hospital in the Maldives.
Those arrested for direct involvement in the terror attack against the ex-President are Mujaz Ahmed, Thahmeen Ahmed, Ahmed Adhuham Rasheed, and Ahmed Fathih.