Fisheries Minister Ahmed Shiyam speaks at ceremony to celebrate PNC candidates' success in HDh. Mooraidhoo constituency local coucil election. (Photo/PNC)
Fisheries Minister Ahmed Shiyam said Saturday evening that former Addu City Mayor Abdulla Sodiq (Soabe) had been neglectful of Addu, particularly Hithadhoo, during his years as mayor and state minister, and that he would not bring development to the city.
Speaking at the official launch of the campaign of Ahmed Saeed (Soda), the PNC candidate contesting the Hithadhoo North by‑election, Shiyam said the people had given Soabe more than a decade to serve as mayor.
“But the people said ho-ho, enough, enough of Abdulla Sodiq. Even if it’s someone from the MDP, it should be someone else,” he said.
Shiyam said the people of Addu elected MDP candidates to the city council and parliament with high hopes. He noted that Soabe lost the 2021 MDP council primary to incumbent Mayor Ali Nizar.
“The MDP also said no to him, enough is enough,” he said.
Shiyam said Addu as a whole had suffered from years of neglect.
“Look around at the state of this constituency, the state of structural development, social development, economic development. This city has been heavily neglected, and Abdulla Sodiq is responsible for that neglect.”
He accused Soabe of running for political gain.
“I have learned that he is not going to do anything for development, not for this city, and especially not for this constituency. People have experienced that. So we have to say no to Abdulla Sodiq,” he said.
Speaking at an MDP rally in Male' last Monday, Soabe said MPs are not elected to “run after ministers and beg”. Parliament, he said, has a strong system to hold the government accountable, and that would happen if he is elected.
Soabe, who previously served as Addu City Mayor, also alleged that if a PNC member is elected to the constituency, they would act for their own benefit in parliament. He urged the people of Hithadhoo to vote for him.
The Hithadhoo North seat became vacant after the Supreme Court on 12 April declared former MP Mohamed Sinan (Sina) and others to have lost their seats due to non‑payment of a MVR 3.8 million loan taken from Maldives Islamic Bank.
The by‑election will be held on 6 June. The candidates are Soabe, who secured the MDP ticket uncontested, and Ahmed Saeed (Soda), who received the PNC ticket after Sinan withdrew.