Advertisement

MDP chair contender Meekail says grassroots owe no apology to Nasheed

MDP MP Meekail Ahmed Naseem arrives in HA.Kelaa to campaign for the post of the party's chairman, May 23, 2026. (X Photo/Thooba Rasheed)

South Galolhu MP Meekail Ahmed Naseem, who is contesting former President Mohamed Nasheed for the MDP chairmanship, says he does not believe ordinary MDP members owe Nasheed an apology.

Nasheed apologised to MDP members on Friday for working against the party after leaving it in 2023 following disagreements with former President Ibrahim Mohamed Solih. He made the apology in response to a member who said he should apologise for leaving the party so close to the presidential election. Nasheed added that MDP members, too, should apologise to him.

During Meekail’s campaign visit to HA. Kelaa, a member asked him about Nasheed’s remarks.

“I don’t believe at all that ordinary MDP members should apologise to anyone, even President Nasheed,” he said.

Galolhu South MP Meekail Ahmed Naseem speaks at his Ithubaar campaign rally held in Male' city on May 19, 2026. (Photo/Ithubaar campaign team)

Meekail said the MDP was built into a strong political movement through the sacrifices of its ordinary members, and that both Nasheed and Solih were elected president because of those members. He added that the privileges and honours afforded to former presidents are also a result of the work of the party’s grassroots.

He said thousands of MDP members were “thrown to the streets” in 2023 for political gain, without any regard for their contributions.

“So in short, I don’t believe the ordinary members of the MDP have done anything for which they must apologise,” he said.

Nasheed’s unofficial X account posted Saturday that the biggest reason for the MDP’s defeat in 2023 was Solih’s lack of popularity.

Parliament Speaker Mohamed Nasheed (R) meets with President Ibrahim Mohamed Solih (L) at the President's Office on September 24, 2023.

The rift between Solih and Nasheed split the MDP into two factions ahead of the 2023 presidential primary, with the Nasheed faction levelling direct accusations at Solih’s supporters. Solih’s victory in the 28 January 2023 party primary deepened the divide, and Nasheed’s supporters broke away from the party in mid‑May. Nasheed formally left the MDP on 21 June 2023.

The Democrats, formed by Nasheed and his supporters, contested the presidential election separately. Their candidate, former MP Ilyas Labeeb, secured seven percent of the vote in the first round. The Democrats refused to work with the MDP in the runoff, a decision widely seen as contributing to Solih’s defeat.

Ilyas Labeeb (L) speaks during a press briefing by the Democrats on August 26, 2024. (Sun Photo/Aman Latheef)

Nasheed and his supporters rejoined the MDP on 23 June last year.

With the MDP chairmanship election approaching next month, internal rivalry has intensified. While Nasheed is campaigning aggressively, Solih has publicly endorsed Meekail, saying this is not the time for Nasheed to seek the chairmanship and that the three former presidents should continue the movement they began together.

Despite both now opposing the government alongside former President Abdulla Yameen Abdul Gayoom, Nasheed and Solih have continued to target each other in the ongoing internal contest.

Advertisement
Comment