Opposition MP questions Nasheed’s safety inside parliament building

Maduvvari MP Adam Shareef Umar. (File Photo/People's Majlis)

Adam Shareef, Maduvvari MP, a representative of the opposition People’s National Congress (PNC), has questioned Parliament Speaker Mohamed Nasheed’s safety inside the People’s Majlis building.

He raised the question during the debate held at Tuesday’s parliamentary sitting on the bill on occupational safety and health submitted by Baarah MP Ahmed Abdulla on behalf of the government.

MP Shareef had asked Speaker Nasheed whether he truly got justice for the terror attack on his life in May 2021.

“I want to ask you, honorable speaker, whether you got justice for the terror attack on you,” he said.

He followed up with more questions to Nasheed including to what extent Nasheed has gotten justice with respect to the attack, if he has gotten any, and how the extent was measured. He also asked how it was cleared that none of the parliamentary members had been involved in the attack.

MP Shareef, with reference to remarks made during the debate, said he believes the report in the terror attack against Nasheed must be reviewed once more and further investigated.

“As I believe, do you, honorable speaker, have an independent and safe working environment here? A parliament member’s involvement is questionable. Was the 214 Committee able to confirm otherwise?” he questioned.

A homemade remote-controlled IED was strapped to motorcycle parked nearby Nasheed’s residence, and was detonated at 08:27 pm on May 6, 2021, just as Nasheed exited his residence and went to get in his car. Nasheed was thrown to the ground and sustained multiple shrapnel wounds, while three members of his security detail and two bystanders sustained minor wounds.

Nasheed was rushed to ADK Hospital, where he underwent multiple lifesaving surgeries to remove ball bearings and other shrapnel, some of which perforated his internal organs.   

He was airlifted to a military hospital in Germany on May 13, and traveled to the UK in July for further treatment.

The case was probed by the Parliament Committee on National Security (241 Committee) following which they had penned an inquiry report.