Health Protection Agency (HPA), on Thursday, announced 71 additional cases of the new coronavirus, increasing confirmed coronavirus cases in Maldives to 11,893.
According to HPA, the 71 new cases include 15 locals and 56 foreigners.
60 of the cases were identified from the greater Male’ region, while the remaining 11 cases were identified from the atolls.
Meanwhile, 19 additional coronavirus patients were confirmed to have made full recoveries over the last 24 hours, increasing total recoveries to 11,010.
With the new developments, Maldives now has 838 active cases.
There are 185 patients in isolation facilities and 56 in hospitals.
1,758 samples have been tested for the new coronavirus over the last 24 hours.
With the 71 new infections this Thursday, 277 people have tested positive over the last one-week period.
November 5: 71 cases
November 4: 26 cases
November 3: 59 cases
November 2: 36 cases
November 1: 42 cases
October 31: 16 cases
October 30: 27 cases
Maldives identified its first coronavirus case on March 7, and declared a state of public health emegency over the pandemic less than a week later on March 12.
While coronavirus cases had initially been restricted to resorts and safaris, and later quarantine facilities holding inbound travelers, Male’ City identified its first coronavirus case on April 15, prompting a city-wide lockdown.
The populous capital quickly emerged as the epicenter of the coronavirus outbreak in Maldives, contributing to the majority of total cases.
7,530 people – making for 63 percent of the 11,893 coronavirus cases in the country, are Maldivians, while the remaining 37 percent are foreign nationals.
38 coronavirus patients have died from complications.
There are 15 active coronavirus cases in 13 residential islands outside of the greater Male’ area.
There are also active cases in 30 resorts, including 52 tourists and 120 staff.