COVID-19: Maldives records 137 new infections

Rapid Response Team (RRT) operates in the streets of Male' City to conduct COVID-19 tests on June 6, 2020. (Sun Photo/Fayaz Moosa)

Health Protection Agency (HPA), on Monday, announced 137 additional cases of the new coronavirus, increasing confirmed coronavirus cases in Maldives to 7,804.

According to HPA, the 137 new cases are; 96 Maldivians, 25 Bangladeshis, nine Indians, two Sri Lankans, two Nepalese, one Filipino, one Russian and one Ghanaian.

129 of the cases were identified from the greater Male’ region, while the remaining eight identified from the atolls.

Meanwhile, 119 additional coronavirus patients were confirmed to have made full recoveries over the last 24-hours, increasing total recoveries to 5,155.

The new developments mean Maldives now has 2,615 active cases.

There are 1,451 patients in isolation facilities and 172 in hospitals.

112,927 samples, including repeated samples, have been taken by health authorities to conduct coronavirus tests.

With the 137 new infections this Monday, 892 people have tested positive over the last one-week period.

August 31: 137 cases

August 30: 89 cases

August 29: 109 cases

August 28: 140 cases

August 27: 104 cases

August 26: 178 cases

August 25: 135 cases

Maldives identified its first coronavirus case on March 7, and declared a state of public health emergency over the pandemic less than a week later on March 12.

While coronavirus cases had initially been restricted to resorts and safaris, and later quarantine facilities holding inbound travelers, Male’ City identified its first coronavirus case on April 15, prompting a city-wide lockdown.

The populous capital quickly emerged as the epicenter of the coronavirus outbreak in Maldives, contributing to over 90 percent of total cases.

4,812 people – making for 61 percent of the 7,804 coronavirus cases in the country, are Maldivians, while the remaining 39 percent are foreign nationals. And 2,309 people – making for 29 percent of total coronavirus cases – are Bangladeshis. The rest of the coronavirus cases include 450 Indians, 82 Sri Lankans, 73 Nepalese, 12 Italians, 12 Filipinos and eight Indonesians.

28 coronavirus patients have died from complications.

There are 53 active coronavirus cases in 31 residential islands outside of the greater Male’ area. One residential island outside of the capital, G. Dh. Thinadhoo, is under monitoring.

There are also active cases in 15 resorts, including 14 tourists and 18 staff.