Breaking News
3 hours 38 minutes ago
“Mihaaru” journalists banned from Criminal Court
Police operate in front of Criminal Court. (File Photo/Sun/Mohamed Afrah)

“Mihaaru” journalists banned from Criminal Court

    March 27, 2017 - 8 months 4 weeks ago
    , 0 comments

“Mihaaru” reports the news agency’s journalists have been banned from hearings held at Criminal Court.

Editor of “Mihaaru”, Ismail Naseer spoke to “Sun” this Monday and said that the news agency’s journalists were not allowed into the Criminal Court courtrooms, and that the agency did not know the reason behind the ban.

Ismail said that one of the journalists who attempted to enter a courtroom was informed that officials had been informed not to allow “Mihaaru” journalists to attend hearings “until informed otherwise”.

“Sun” was unable to contact Criminal Court’s media official for a comment regarding the issue.

The move comes after Criminal Court issued a statement on March 19, alleging some Maldivian journalists were writing articles which promoted terrorism, and that legal action would be taken against such journalists.

“Mihaaru”’s editor Ismail was summoned to police headquarters for questioning on March 20.

“Sun” has been informed that Ismail was questioned regarding a complaint filed by Department of Judicial Administration.


0 Comments

Comment Guidlines

Comment guidlines goes here.

Post A Comment